Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The End of an Era

I already hinted at changes to come, and now it's time to reveal more: I have finally found work as an archaeologist. As some of you know I've been looking for a job in my field for a very, very long time, working on a short-time dig in between and doing market research and spinning art yarn the rest of the time. A few weeks ago a fellow archaeologist told me about a job opportunity and today I got my contract. I didn't want to reveal anything before I actually held said contract in my hands, so this is very short notice. The dig will start next Monday and will last for 10 months. I'm overjoyed and can't wait! :-) And I do hope that I will get more opportunities after that, as I will gain new experiences and make new contacts which should make it easier to get jobs in the future.

On the downside, I don't know whether I will be able to keep running the shop. I know I definitely won't have time for many new art yarns, but I did plan on keeping the shop open and selling what was already in it. There might be some complications, though, some because of Etsy (new thing about a VAT ID which might cause problems), some because of the new job, as I am supposed to kind of get permission for any part time jobs with my new employers. I haven't talked to them yet, but I might have to put the shop on holiday until next year. I decided to run another big, shop-wide sale until the end of the week in any case (parcels will ship out a bit later than usual as I have to fit them in my schedule), and if it's too complicated to keep the shop I will have to put it on hold for a while, though with a very, very heavy heart. I'm also very sorry this comes at such short notice, I only learned of the possible complications today, myself.

sale banner: everything 15%off at http://weirdandtwisted.etsy.com

All items in the shop are 15% off until Sunday, 17th of April, 11 pm eastern time. 

If you like my yarns (and/or me ;-)), please consider to like my Facebook page - I will post updates about the situation there, and if I have to close the shop for a while that's the place to look for my return next year :-) I'd love to come back and still have some yarn lovers to greet me ♥

Whether I'll put the shop in vacation mode or keep it running at a very low level, let me say It's been wonderful eight years, and thank you so much for your support - be it through purchases or kind words, likes, sharing my work or interacting! I still feel awed by the fact that my yarns get so much attention and positive feedback, and that people like them so much they are actually willing to pay a fair price, even though that means it's high. Thank you all! I will miss you very much.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so exciting for you. I don't know if you remember me (Diana - you put a birthday note in with the Daisy yarn I bought), I'm also a handspinner (Story Skeins) and I did a doctorate in archaeological science - I was working on optical dating (some call it OSL dating or luninescence dating). You're the third handspinner I've "met" who also works in archeology. :D
    Anyway, enjoy the job. I am sure you'll get back to spinning when the time is right for you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations! it might be a bit sad to let go of the spinning and the shop for a while, but that job sounds very exciting - and I am sure the fibres will still be there when you're back! enjoy!

    Bettina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails