Thursday, December 24, 2015

24. Freeing Dobby (Harry Potter Art Yarn Advent Calendar)



Harry ran down the dark corridor. He caught up with them at the top of the stairs. "Mr. Malfoy," he gasped, skidding to a halt, "I've got something for you --" And he forced the smelly sock into Lucius Malfoy's hand. "What the --?" Mr. Malfoy ripped the sock off the diary, threw it aside, then looked furiously from the ruined book to Harry. You'll meet the same sticky end as your parents one of these days, Harry Potter," he said softly. "They were meddlesome fools, too. He turned to go. "Come, Dobby. I said, come." But Dobby didn't move. He was holding up Harry's disgusting, slimy sock, and looking at it as though it were a priceless treasure. "Master has given a sock," said the elf in wonderment. "Master gave it to Dobby." "What's that?" spat Mr. Malfoy. "What did you say?" "Got a sock," said Dobby in disbelief. "Master threw it, and Dobby caught it, and Dobby – Dobby is free."
 
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J. K. Rowling


 


Description: This was another yarn I had to think about long and hard. In the end I chose to use dark grey and black for the corridor the scene takes place in, with added green and white for Malfoy’s Slytherin heritage and allegiance. I spun in grey cotton fabric strips to represent Dobby’s old pillowcase, sock charms, and the same matte green beads I used for Dobby’s eyes in the very first yarn of this advent calendar.
Fibre Types
: merino wool, bluefaced leicester wool, wild silk
Colours: greys, black, green, white
Add-Ins: sewing thread, cotton fabric strips, matte glass beads, sock charms

3 comments:

  1. I've made my very own advent calender out of your postings: every day I looked at the latest yarn. but only at the title at first, closing my eyes and thinking about how I'd have spun that yarn. then I compared my "vision" with your yarn - and found that some would have been similar, but most wouldn't have!:) the charms of course would be similiar, but not the make-up of the yarn or the colours. an interesting experience - mental spinning:)
    happy christmas to you and yours from ireland
    Bettina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a great idea! I love how different people would make different yarns from the same ideas / titles - this would be a great spinalong, wouldn't it? (oooh, Harry Potter spinalong - that would be something!)

    Sorry I didn't make it in time for christmas greetings, but I wish you and your loved ones a very happy new year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. never mind - good wishes can be taken at any time of the year:) and yes, a harry potter spinalong would be a great idea! maybe it has already been done in the depth of ravelry groups somewhere? I have wild fred & george socks in my mind just now, or a very colourful mrs weasley crochet piece:) or something for lovely Luna - must be great to spin and knit for someone with such an unconventional taste! I still have beaded radish earrings here, inspired by Luna:) though I sometimes find that watching the film has sneaked into the mental pictures here and there - when I think of Luna I think of those shoes she was looking for!
    happy spinning in the coming year - and always enough fibres to play with!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails