Friday, January 9, 2015

The Age of Swords

My latest art yarn was inspired by one of my current favourite metal bands, Skálmöld from Iceland. I hadn't even heard of them until a little more than a year ago, when I saw them live as supporting act of Finntroll, another one of my favourite metal bands. I liked Skálmöld well enough, but it took me another concert to really appreciate them. I saw them again a few weeks back, this time as supporting act of Eluveitie (whom I didn't enjoy as much as I had thought I would, by the way), together with Arkona (another one of my favourite... ;-))

Anyway, I had a lot of fun at the concert, and enjoyed Skálmöld's performance and music immensely. As I am now in the very comfortable position of having an all access account on Google Music, I was able to listen through all their stuff, and I liked them so much I didn't listen to anyone else for a while.

One of my favourite songs is Gleipnir, and I found a version with lyrics so it's also interesting (and less gruesome than the official video for this song):


As with many things I care about, I just had to spin a yarn ;-)

Skálmöld translates as Age of Swords, and refers to the Sturlung Era and their civil war in 13th century Iceland, and their songs are inspired by mythology and sagas. This all pretty much influenced my colour and add-in choices: I chose to represent Iceland's black lava and white snow, and the age of swords did call for blood red and skulls and swords.



I think it's always a little difficult with themes like this, and with skulls and swords, as I don't condone violence and much less want to glorify it. Please see this strictly in a fantasy/mythology/saga context.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails