Friday, October 15, 2010

HELP! Knitting (Book) Advice Needed!

Hello fellow knitters :-)

I've written about a special project a while ago: a shawl/scarf made from handspun ocean art yarns. I have been searching for patterns lately, and I am now pretty sure what I want. I had stumbled upon the Dreamcoat on Ravelry before and I think the basic pattern of longish parts and squares would look great as a shawl. Let me show you a very crude drawing of what I roughly imagine the shawl to look like:

(I know - it's a bad drawing and a bad photo, but I hope you get the idea ;-))

Now, if the book containing the pattern (Dazzling Knits) were just a normal printed book, I'd just order it on Amazon, have a look inside and send it back if it was not what I wanted. But the book is out of print, I can't have a look inside and I don't want to spend $15 on a book I am not sure is the one I need. I have to admit I don't really like the other patterns in it, I only want to learn the basics - making the squares and long parts of the Dreamcoat and use them in a different way.

Now, this is where I need you: can any of you tell me anything more about the book? Can you recommend it even to someone who doesn't like most of the patterns? Can you recommend any other book, website, or explain the techniques I need for this project?

I've already had a look at other books on modular knitting, but none of them seemed to explain how to make the longer parts I'd need. One of the books ("Modular Knits: New Techniques for Today's Knitter" by Iris Schreier) looked good, I thought - but there were many bad reviews saying it contained lots of errors, and you had to join the author's discussion group for help. I also thought "Domino Knitting" by Vivian Hoxbro looked good, but I am not sure whether it contains everything I need.

Please help!
Thanks :-)

6 comments:

  1. Hi there! I found your post in the etsy forums. I'm not familiar with this book and I don't read patterns myself, I create my own. I would like to "try" to help --- Do you have another picture to link to other than your drawing? It's hard for me to understand the details of this shawl and the question you have about knitting the long part without a photo reference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maureen,

    thank you so much for taking the time to answer me! :-)
    Are you on Ravelry? There are quite some pictures of the DreamCoat there, but you have to be logged in to see them (here's the link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dream-coat/people).

    The only other one I found is the one I've already linked to in the posting (http://www.dazzlingknits.com/Workshops.htm#Dream_Coat)

    Oooh, I just had an idea and searched on flickr - here are two more links:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14870606@N02/5026180387/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/14870606@N02/5006773635/

    Thank you so much! :-)
    Weird

    ReplyDelete
  3. ich hab beide von hoxbro (das andere war nicht so mein ding), aber diese langgestreckten streifen mit ecke waren da nicht drin, so weit ich mich erinnere (ich schau aber noch nach). aber das muster ist toll - dafuer wuerde ich sogar evtl. noch den preis in kauf nehmen - weihnachten naht:)) kam gleich auf die wunschliste:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. ich wieder:)) mein strickkopf liess mir wieder keine ruhe... weisst du, wie man ein triple square beim domino knitting strickt? also so ein v-foermiges teil? wenn ja, kannst du diese langen zipfel fast so stricken, nur wird rechts und links von der mitte bei den abnahmen statt 3 zus. nur 2 zus. gestrickt... wenn du ein richtiges muster willst, schick ne pm. allerdings werden sie so dann wie beim dream coat, mit geradem abschluss oben und "zipfel" unten. wenn du zipfel an beiden seiten wolltest, muesstest du entweder zwei zipfel in der runde machen - oder in reihen und dann irgendwo zusammenfuegen.... da hast du ja wieder was feines angestellt, nu gehts mir nicht aus dem kopf:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ich werde auch mal versuchen zu helfen. Hoxbro ist toll, aber diese länglichen Patches sind dort nicht beschrieben. Schreier ist eines der langweiligsten Bücher zum Thema, die ich kenne (und ich kenne einige), das würde ich nicht kaufen. Ich habe Dazzling Knits, und ich mag es sehr. Mir geht es weniger um die Komplettanleitungen als um die Art, wie modulares Stricken dort beschrieben wird und um die relative Vielfalt der Patches. Das ist jedoch alles Geschmackssache, aber ich würde Dazzling Knits schon empfehlen.

    Viele Grüße
    Jinx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arghs, ich habe eure Beiträge erst eben zufällig gefunden. Aus irgendeinem Grund bekomme ich keine Emailbenachrichtigungen mehr, ich muss mal die Einstellungen checken...

    Ihr seid total lieb, vielen Dank für eure Hilfe! "Domino Knitting" hat mir insgesamt nicht so zugesagt, das habe ich wieder zurück geschickt, vor allem weil es eben bei den länglichen Streifen nicht geholfen hat. Aber ich habe mir nun doch "Dazzling Knits" gekauft, halt als eBook - und muss jetzt "nur" noch mehr Garne spinnen und dann Zeit zum Stricken finden *g* Das wird ein langes Projekt, macht aber nix :-)

    Danke trotzdem! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails