Friday, May 27, 2011

... been hunting

A few days ago, I had an idea. Actually, it might have started even earlier, after spinning the latest skull yarn. I thought it would be great to spin an orc camp art yarn, with skulls, bone beads, maybe some rusty stuff, copper wire things, some kind of rags...
I have the skulls, I still have some gorgeous bone beads, I have no idea where to get rusty stuff right now, but I will certainly be able to play around with copper wire and make some strange things to spin into the yarn. 
The rags kept me thinking, though. I'd still want the yarn to be soft enough for usage, so really rough materials are out of the question, I thought maybe linen or cotton would be fine - but where to get it? We are not exactly blessed with places that sell fabric, and there's not much variety there. I remembered to have bought some cotton scarves a few years ago, and I also remembered there was a wide variety of colours then. I also knew the shop I bought these scarves from no longer existed. So, I went hunting. I combed through the whole city (well, nearly), and I am very happy to say I was very lucky - I found a shop that still sells these cotton scarves for a reasonable price, and they had a brown one, too. The orc camp yarn will soon come into existence ;-) 

The good thing about having to search nearly the entire city were some other nice things I found and was able to buy ;-) There's a book about mermaids, which is a children's book, but I like the style and I wanted it for yarn inspirations. After all, I've always liked spinning ocean themed art yarns and I am bound to be running out of names and themes, so this book will hopefully prove to be very useful :-)
I also bought some more of the leaves ribbon I have used in several yarns, but I tried to go for some different colours this time. I want to spin thin, light summer art yarns, and I think white, yellow and light blue/turquoise will be perfect for that kind of project :-)

I've been very busy with my other job these past two weeks, but I did manage to get some spinning done, and I was finally able to take photos of my latest creations yesterday. So, there will be some new yarns in the shop quite soon, I hope :-)

4 comments:

  1. neuer versuch, nachdem blogger spinnt:(( du kannst dir rostige eisenstuecke einfach selbst machen, eisenteile in essig/wassermischung legen fuer ein paar tage.... und ich beneide dich um die moeglichkeit, nach feinen "einspinnerles" suchen zu koennen! du koenntest kleine themenbeutel (oder nach farbe sortiert) anbieten - fuer spinner, die in der diaspora leben wie ich?:)) ich bin gespannt auf das steinzeitfrauen-garn:)) viel spass beim spinnen und irische gruesse
    Bettina (in der hoffnung, dass ich nicht wieder in der endlosschleife von blogger lande, wo ich mich zum kommentieren xmal neu anmelden soll, bis ich aufgebe.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Das ist natürlich eine gute Idee, setzt aber das Vorhandensein von Eisenteilen voraus *grübel* Ich habe nur Schraubenmuttern und Unterlegscheiben, und die sind verzinkt. Ich hätte zwar auch Eisendraht, aber der lässt sich schwer verarbeiten. Trotzdem dank für den Tip!

    Ich hatte auch schon öfter überlegt, Art Yarn Zubehör anzubieten, aber letztendlich verspinne ich mein Zeug selbst so gerne ;-) Übrigens kaufe ich die meisten Dinge online; nur Stoff kaufe ich lokal (weil ich da weniger als einen Meter pro Sorte nehmen kann) und wenn mir mal was in die Finger fällt, nehme ich es natürlich mit :-)

    Steinzeitfrauengarn? Hö? Jetzt muss ich aber nochmal lesen, was ich geschrieben habe, das kommt mir nämlich gar nicht bekannt vor (Siebgedächtnis? ;-))

    Liebe Grüße,
    Weird

    ReplyDelete
  3. nee nee, hast du nicht geschrieben - kam mir nur so vor, von der farbe her, die skulls, bone beads etc. - ok, kupferdraht hatten sie wohl damals noch nicht:)) das braun erinnerte mich irgendwie so an tierfelle und so... ich hab grad erstmal nach "orc camp" geschaut, in der ecke kenn ich mich nicht so aus:))

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails