Actually, this freshly spun yarn should have been finished yesterday, seeing that this was my challenge yarn. However, I had to work the whole day and didn't manage to finish it. But now here it is - my Athena Yarn, inspired by and named after the greek Goddess.
(please click to enlarge)
161 m, 111 g, about 9-11 wpi.
I had carded the batts on monday (the rest day, but I assumed it meant rest from spinning only ;-)) and was really looking forward to spinning them. They consisted of green and brown merino, light green merino/tussah silk blend, hand dyed silk and golden angelina. My challenge was to create a more interesting yarn, as I think my spinning has become a little too even recently. Nothing wrong with an even yarn, but for one thing I don't want to become lazy and for another thing, I do like coils and other means of creating texture and I very much like interestingly textured yarn. I also wanted to put in lots of stuff: organza ribbons of brown and green, leafy ribbons (also of brown and green), gemstone beads (mossy agate, pyrite, bronze-coloured freshwater pearls) and golden owl charms I got specially for an Athena yarn (which I had planned quite some time ago).
Due to creating so much texture, this yarn took a while longer, but it is worth every minute! There are coiled parts, fatter parts where the accompanying thread winds around the fibre, even a few corespun parts and, of course, the parts where the different ribbons have been spun in. I very much like the outcome, though there is a little problem: the owls have quite sharp egdes and three of them have already fallen off, probably having broken the fine accompanying thread. I won't be able to sell this with a good conscience unless I find a way to secure the charms. I don't mind keeping this yarn, as I really love it, but I have so many art yarn objects already and don't know when to wear them all ;-)